Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Blog 2 - "Rage, rage against the dying" of being seen.

I read this quotation and connected with it on a personal and professional level.  When I was in high school, I shifted between wanting to be noticed and wanting to blend in.  As a professional, I am the same way.  The squeaky teacher gets noticed... but the teacher who roxx (with two x's), gets noticed, too, but for better reasons.  Either way, this quotation made me think of Dylan Thomas' poem about going gently into the night, to death (metaphorical or literal).  Thomas asks that we "rage, rage" against the dying of light (attention).  It makes me think of students who do everything they can to get attention of any sort - talk, fight, move - all because they need to be seen.  And it makes me wonder if they don't get the attention they need at home.  If one is ignored or at least relegated to the background, a sort of anger builds and either blows or becomes buried.  If buried, it becomes depression.  If blown, it's rage.  Either way, are these the best way to make one's self visible?  In the case of Invisible Man, the narrator does the "right" thing and consistently fails.  He is noticed not for being good but for screwing up.  It makes him angry but he doesn't know what to do, and when he finally pops, he chooses to disengage.  Is this any better?  I don't know.

No comments:

Post a Comment